People about Cosplay...
You absolutely do not have to make your own costume to cosplay! Made or bought, cosplay is cosplay. Cosplay is more than making an outfit. It can include makeup, wig styling, and prop making too, besides sewing the costume. Some people, like me, style their own wigs and do their own makeup, but can’t sew or craft. Some people simply wear the costume and don’t make any of it, and that’s fine too. This cosplay elitism needs to stop, of course it isn’t wrong to buy a costume. As long as you’re having fun, you’re doing it right.
Adding more things to the list:
- Don’t compare yourself to other cosplayers! They probably have a lot more experience than you!
- There’s no shame in buying your cosplay instead of making it yourself! For most first time cosplayers it’s a huge responsibility. There is a lot of time, money, and dedication that is required to make even one cosplay.
- When you go to an anime con for the first time take a friend with you. Not only will you have more fun, it is also a lot safer to play by buddy system rules.
- When traveling to conventions always have a ‘con survival’ bag with you. It should include a water bottle, a notebook/paper and a writing utensil, basically make up for touch ups, and snacks. You can really put anything in your bag that you think you may need.
It really depends on:
There is no 100% rule for this. If it requires body paint, doing that before putting on the costume may be best. If the costume requires going over the head, putting makeup on after the costume is at least halfway on may be better. Same with wigs and other accessories.
- The costume. How is it made? How is it put on? How hard/easy is it to wear?
- The cosplay. What cosplay? What makeup does it require?
- Individual preference. What works best for you?
I tend to decide on and create my cosplays with makeup/wigs as the last things to put on, not the first. Because for me that is easier. And since I am allergic to body paint, that isn’t a concern. It varies from cosplayer to cosplayer and cosplay to cosplay.